New Developments in the Han Solo Story Troubles as it turns out that Phil Lord Chris Miller were fired from the production.
As you most likely heard yesterday, Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been dropped by Lucasfilm as the directors of the still untitled and still not dated Han Solo spin off film over “creative differences”.
The new developments that have come to light come from Variety:
“The directors did not leave the production voluntarily, but were fired by Lucasfilm.”
Apparently Lord and Miller wanted to make the character of Han Solo funnier and whitty, which goes against his character from A New Hope, where he was a cynical, selfish pirate and not the scruffy nerf herder he came to be.
Also from Variety:
“A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and (Kathleen) Kennedy was never right,” and that there had been tension since the beginning. A source told Variety, “(Lord and Miller) weren’t give the leeway to do what they had to do.”
Apparently Lord and Miller’s relationship between Kennedy and writer, Lawrence Kasdan as well as producer, Allison Shearmur wasn’t that great and created tension.
“The friction was felt almost immediately into shooting, sources say, but the directors always thought it would be worked through. Kennedy, the producer and head of Lucasfilm, decided to back her lifelong colleague, who shaped much of Solo’s character in Empire and Return of the Jedi and who had a specific tone in mind for the new movie. The duo also didn’t feel they had the support of producer Allison Shearmur, who was acting as Lucasfilm’s representative on the London set.”
Also, Lord and Miller were “blindsided by the firing” which they only learned of this Monday, however this claim was disputed by another source.
There have also been a whirlwind of rumors that director Ron Howard will be taking over, editing what has already been shot and then finishing production to have the film ready for the stated release date of May 2018. Joe Johnston and Lawrence Kasdan are also rumored to helm the rest of the troubled film.
Personally, I’ve always thought that this spin off was a bad idea. We already know a lot about Han Solo’s character and his more than satisfying character arch. Even now I find myself asking myself: “Was this film needed?”
We’ve been asking for a really good Obi-Wan spinoff film and haven’t received anything that points to Lucasfilm doing it (yet). No one ever asked for a Han Solo film and yet this production seems to have had it’s troubles from the start. Hopefully, Lucasfilm with the help of Ron Howard and Lawrence Kasdan can pick this unfinished film up, dust it off and give us something good.
Star Wars fans are in a bit of a frenzy as the recent Lucasfilm films have turned out great but had bumpy productions. Rogue One had its problems with re shoots and The Force Awakens changed its screenwriters. Regarding the Han Solo spin off, I’ve always said that only time will tell. We’ll just have to wait and see if they can pull it off.